Surveillance and Response
The third Surveillance and Response Working Group meeting was held May 11-12, 2015 in Phuket, Thailand.
Forty participants attended the meeting, representing 11 of the APMEN countries, three APMEN Partner Institutions, in addition to WHO Global Malaria Programme, ERAR and SEARO and other partners and donors. The objectives of the meeting were twofold: 1) to work together on a minimum set of indicators for elimination and prevention of reintroduction; and 2) to encourage countries to plan for changing from control programs to elimination programs and to understand the changes in activities and indicators that are required.
After preliminary presentations on how indicators are used, examples of indicators and their use were given by Sri Lanka, Malaysia, and China. An overview off the ERAR-GMS Regional GMS Malaria Database was also provided. The bulk of the two days was spent, however, on group work. Monday’s group work focused on the priority activities for elimination and POR while Tuesday was spent consolidating the activity list and identifying the essential indicators to measure progress towards the countries’ goals. The following day, Wednesday, comprised of a stakeholders’ meeting to consolidate the indicators identified during the SRWG meeting, to further discussions that will be held within WHO and other donors.
- Session 1. Welcome and objectives
- Meeting Objective 1: To work together on a minimum set of indicators for
elimination and prevention of reintroduction.
- Meeting Objective 2: To encourage countries to plan for changing from control
programs to elimination programs and to understand the changes in activities
and indicators that are required.
- Session 2. Indicators for elimination and prevention of reintroduction: Indicators and What exists and where is the gap?
- Session 3. Examples from APMEN Countries: Performance indicators in elimination context, Indicators in POR context, 1,3,7 in China
- Session 4. ERAR-GMS Regional GMS Malaria Database
- Session 5. Group Work: Activities across interventions and across the spectrum
- Session 6. Consolidated report-back from Day 1
- Session 7. World Café: Identification of indicators
- Session 8. World Café Report back & Summary of next steps
- Session 9. APMEN SRWG Business Meeting